Drama will destroy your business, your life and you.
Surround yourself with positive energy, positive people,
positive words and you will go far!
...............................................................................
...................................................................................
When life get's you down ---> RUN from the DRAMA!
...............................................................................
...................................................................................

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Garden of Life #6

Every Saturday, I volunteer six hours of my time at a tiny, two-room library in Reddick, Fla. For me, it's just like being a kid in a candy shop so it astounds me to watch little kids and teenagers walk by hundreds of books on the shelves only to sit at computers and watch videos for hours. They have no interest, whatsoever, in exploring all the different worlds which quietly reside in those precious volumes of paper, ink and cardboard.

Books have always been special treasures in my "Garden of Life." I was an only child and books kept me company by taking me on amazing adventures with all kinds of fascinating people and animals. I read science fiction, fantasy, and stories about dogs, cats and horses. My absolute favorite book when I was growing up was "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell -- the life of a horse, through his eyes. I read my paperback copy of BB so much I practically had it memorized. And all these years later, I still have that very same ragged copy in my collection. It's way too special to ever throw away.

Now, as an adult, when I hold a book in my hands I realize I am holding someone's dream, sweat and tears. It's an incredibly difficult process to write a book, let alone get one published. Writers who have successfully done so may have received numerous rejection slips before their dream finally became a reality. No matter what obstacles they faced in the publishing arena, though, they didn't give up. They kept trying, kept reaching until they were finally able to share their world of "pure imagination" and/or research with the rest of us.

So, have you picked up a good book lately? Better yet, have you shared one with a young child or teen?

Until next time. . . remember the roses.

2 comments:

  1. I too am an only child so I can relate! Thanks for sharing!
    Wondering what the hot topic is of summer reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie

    I know exactly what your talking
    about. Children now a days rather
    play on computer than read. But it
    is all so taking there fun out of
    there childhood because they don't
    go out and play either. Which is sad.

    ReplyDelete